FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 31, 2018
Schools to graduate 1,356; Class of 2018
earns $37.5 million in college scholarships
BEAUFORT – Seniors in the Beaufort County School District’s Class of 2018 will accept their diplomas in graduation ceremonies that begin tonight and run through next Wednesday.
To date, this year’s seniors have earned $37.5 million in college scholarships and have acceptance letters in hand from more than 200 colleges and universities across the nation. The 2018 scholarship total is a significant increase from $27.8 million five years ago, and district officials said that figure will increase as additional scholarship information continues to arrive.
“These ceremonies are significant events for our students, their families and the many educators who have worked with them down through the years,” said Board of Education Chair Earl Campbell. “It’s a time to look back and celebrate what our graduates have accomplished, but it’s also a time for them to look forward. Whether they’re heading to college, joining the armed forces or beginning their careers, we wish them the very best.”
Seniors will receive their diplomas during graduation ceremonies that kick off tonight, beginning with Hilton Head Island High. With one exception, graduation ceremonies will begin at 7 p.m. in each school’s football stadium unless weather moves them indoors. The exception is Battery Creek, which will hold its ceremony at 10 a.m. Saturday:
- Thursday, May 31 – Hilton Head Island High
- Friday, June 1 – Bluffton High
- Saturday, June 2 – Battery Creek High
- Monday, June 4 – Beaufort High
- Tuesday, June 5 – May River High
- Wednesday, June 6 – Whale Branch Early College High
“Our entire community is proud of the Class of 2018,” said Superintendent Jeff Moss. “They’ve achieved a lot in their young lives, and there’s no doubt in my mind that their future is very bright.”
This year’s valedictorians and salutatorians are:
- Battery Creek High – The class valedictorian is Hien Dang Tran, and the salutatorian is Hannah Ryanne Barnhardt.
- Beaufort High – The class valedictorian and salutatorian have not yet been determined.
- Bluffton High – The class valedictorian is Elizabeth Lee Rhoads, and the salutatorian is Yi Zhou.
- Hilton Head Island High – The class valedictorian is Sophia Maxine Topping, and the salutatorian is Miyah Francis Shatz.
- May River High School – The class valedictorian is Matthew Porter, and the salutatorian is Jessica Smith.
- Whale Branch Early College High School – The class valedictorian is Jasiah Ballenger, and the salutatorian is Sydney Lucas.
Director of Communications
Beaufort County School District