The Bluffton Oyster Company actually sits on reclaimed land, built up by more than a hundred years of discarded shells from previous shucking operations. The oyster business thrived in early Bluffton and throughout the 1920’s, with five different oyster operations in the area. In addition to selling the prized May River oyster meat, shell was sold for road surfacing and chicken scratch. The current concrete block building was built in 1954. Numerous wooden docks and buildings, long since gone, stood on this site before the 1900’s. The Bluffton Oyster Company is a typical southern oyster house. The shell stock is unloaded on the docks, washed with fresh water, and then put on the shucking tables. Each picker’s oysters are kept separate in order to guarantee they are paid correctly. The shuckers open the oysters into stainless steel cans and when full, the cans are passed through a window that leads into the measuring and packing room. They are then washed in a skimmer and packed into 12 oz., Quarts, and Gallon containers and placed into a refrigerated holding area and kept at 37-34 degrees until delivery.
Specializing in fresh local seafood, The Bluffton Oyster Company is known for their fresh, local oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, fish filets, soft shell crabs and live blue crabs.